Pono Company Overview:
- Pono began operations in January 2012.
- Pono raised more than $6 million in funding through its Kickstarter campaign that began at South By Southwest in March 2014 and was completed in April, 2014, making Pono the 3rd highest funded project in Kickstarter history.
- ThePonoPlayer retails for $399, and is currently sold out. Orders for delivery in Q1 are now being taken on the Website at www.ponomusic.com and selected dealers. Pono Leadership: Neil Young, Founder and CEO Elliot Roberts, SVP of Artist Relations Phil Baker, VP Product Development and Operations Bruce Botnick, VP of Content Acquisition Randy Leasure, VP Business Development and Content Marketing Technical Facts: File Format
- Pono offers the highest resolution content available for all tracks that it sells. They range from CD quality up to 192 kHz/24 bit. This is typically twenty times the amount of data of those files found on conventional music players.
- Songs in the PonoMusic Store are sold and downloaded in the FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) audio format.
- PonoMusic will have a quality spectrum depending on the quality of the available master recordings. This includes:
o CD lossless quality recordings: 1411 kbps (44.1 kHz/16 bit)
o High-resolution recordings: 2304 kbps (48 kHz/24 bit)
o Higher-resolution recordings: 4608 kbps (96 kHz/24 bit)
o Ultra-high resolution recordings: 9216 kbps (192 kHz/24 bit)
- The PonoPlayer is a purpose built device, designed by world-renowned audio engineer Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics with a “no compromises” approach to sound quality. It meaningfully improves the listening experience with any quality of headphones, speakers or playback system.
- The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) chip being used is widely recognized in the audio and engineering community as one of the best sounding DAC chips available today.
- The output buffer used to drive the headphones is fully discrete so that all individual parameters and circuit values and parts quality can be fully optimized for the absolute finest sound quality.
- The Pono player will play FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, AAC (unprotected), and MP3 files.
- The audio circuitry in the PonoPlayer is fully balanced, from the D/A converter chip to the output jacks. This is the first portable audio player in the world to be made this way. The balanced output mode separates the left and right channel outputs across the two jacks for specially equipped headphones that have two balanced connectors for connection to equipment with balanced XLR input connectors.
- The PonoPlayer has two line-out jacks. One is for headphone usage and the other can be used as a line out for sound systems, powered speakers or a car stereo. These jacks can also be used simultaneously for shared music, such as listening with two sets of headphones.
- The PonoPlayer has a special blue light that illuminates to indicate that the PonoMusic track is certified as the highest available quality and guaranteed to be the resolution indicated.
- Pono is confident that you will hear the Pono difference, and is even more confident you will feel it. Everyone who’s ever heard PonoMusic will tell you that the difference is surprising and dramatic. Especially when they listen to their favorite familiar music. They’re amazed by how much better the music sounds and astonished at how much detail they didn’t realize was missing compared to the original. They tell us that not only do they hear the difference, but they feel it in their body and in the sound of the soul of music.
- The PonoPlayer currently ships with a total of 128 GB of storage. 64 GB of memory is built into the player and another 64 GB of memory is available on a removable SanDisk microSD card. The expansion slot can accept microSD cards of 128 GB.
- The amount of songs and albums that the PonoPlayer can hold depends on the resolution of the music files:
o 44.1 kHz/16 bit – Approximately 5000 tracks
o 48 kHz/24 – bit Approximately 3200 tracks
o 96 kHz/24 – bit Approximately 1600 tracks
o 192 kHz/24 – bit Approximately 800 tracks
- Pono is available in Pono Yellow and Black finish at a MSPR of $399. It comes with a 1-year warranty and is available at www.ponomusic.com and selected retailers.
- Pono is supplied with a universal charger, connection cord, quick-start guide, and a 64 GB SanDIsk micro SD card. In addition is has 64 GB of internal storage.